Thursday 27 February 2014

Royal Academy of Arts: Sensing Spaces

I started this week with a visit to the Royal Academy of Arts to see their new exhibition sensing spaces. Seven architecture firms were invited to participate. They came from six different countries. They are Grafton Architects, Diébédo Francis Kéré, Kengo Kuma, Li Xiaodong, Pezo von Ellrichshausen, Álvaro Siza and Eduardo Souto de Moura. It was great to see such expression from different architect. Each had a different voice, a set of concepts and a unique way of sensing a space. They were all inspiring. The exhibition is worth a visit and Royal Academy has a late night opening on Fridays! You could go check it then or this weekend :D

Bellow are the pictures I took myself with a little captions about which architect designed what and a some thought! Enjoy :)
I walked from Green Park tube station and this is the first thing I spotted 
Entrance! 

This where I started my exploration. I had to go through it, then around it. I stood there trying to understand it. 
It was done by Álvaro Siza and Eduardo Souto de Moura
From the above room's entrance I saw straws of colours and that instantly grabbed me.
I saw children on the sides and adults playing with the different straws. I was puzzled for a second. I wanted to go play with what they were playing with, but then my social norms kicked in and I heard my grandpa in my head "just look and don't touch anything" bless him. It took me few minutes of looking around until I understood that I was MEANT to participate. From what I observed this was the most interactive installation and the architect intended for it to be. He drew it from his own culture, where everyone took part of building and making of the architecture. I thought that concept was beautiful because everything is a collaboration. By the way, this installation started PLAIN and all the colours you see were done by the visitors in the past few weeks.    
This installation was done by Diébédo Francis Kéré  

I continued walking until I saw this built structure. I wasn't sure of what it was until I got closer! these columns are spiral stair cases and it takes you to the top! There was a ramp in the back that would take you up too.
This was done by Pezo von Ellrichshausen
A top view when I climbed all the way up! 

After this space, I saw people going through dark curtains and I followed them to be greeted by these beautiful installation of light extending above. I loved it! 
This was done by Kengo Kuma 


I kept going and I saw this built structure that felt like it was hanging from the ceiling. It was a great structure to control light and see how placement could affect our moods. This one was dark.
This was made by Grafton Architects
Light source from the top of the structure.
This is a shot of the same above picture, but with different settings to show the actual structure.
But it was followed by a well lit, white structure. The contrast between the two spaces were powerful. 
This was also done by Grafton Architects
Overall, I enjoyed my visited. It filled my mind with creative ideas and a new understanding of space. I hope you enjoyed this post :) Please feel free to share your thoughts on the exhibition in the comments below :D

No comments:

Post a Comment