Saturday 19 October 2013

Feature Friday: Wordology

Hello everyone! and welcome to this week's feature! Last week was about the jeweller behind Soulbarbia who created bold statement pieces, and today I introduce you to another artist who creates another kind of BOLD! Marina Vazzana  designs the coolest looking subway signs for her shop Wordology I am excited to share her work with you, take a look! 
find item here
1. Tell us a little bit about your shop; how did you start? How did you learn your craft? Why did you start? What do you sell?
I have had a love of typography for as long as I can remember. This coupled with my equal love for interior design has brought me to creating "Wordology"...the bold graphics of fonts creates a stunning impact which suits any interior style.
On a hunt for a vintage subway roll sign, I knew I had to have one, but the cost was astronomical. After a long search and unable to find one I could afford...I decided to create my own. I was going to design one with Paris streets (oh how I love Paris) but decided to make a 5 foot piece with streets from my husband’s childhood neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York which was a hit with friends and family.
THE SUBWAY SIGN THAT STARTED IT ALL
2. What inspires you? Is there a special place that you like to go to get inspired? What is it? Any favorite galleries or exhibits that inspire you?
ETSY.  There is so much talent on that site.

3. Who is the biggest supporter of your craft/Art & business? Financially? People that request custom illustrations. Emotionally?
Emotionally - My husband!
Financially – My awesome customers…they allow me to continue doing what I love.
find item here
4. Are you part of a crafting group?
Not at this time, but it is a great way to stay motivated.  Sometimes home based business can be isolating.  So if you can find a group it’s a great way to connect with other like-minded fun people.

5. What do you enjoy making the most?
I adore Custom work.  I love the collaboration and it’s where I feel most creative.  It’s a joy to help bring a person’s life story and vision to life.

custom work
6. Do you craft in public? Where do you do it?
No, I need my computer to produce my signs.  But…it doesn’t mean I am not inspired everywhere I go, jotting notes and ideas.

7.  What do you like to do for fun?
I’ve started to have a real interest in photography.  I love the feeling it evokes when you see a special piece.  I am actually taking a course in a few weeks which I think will be tons of fun.

8. Do you have a crafty room?
I do, I used to do a lot of collage and mixed media work.  I miss it actually, so while I still have the craft space (converted garage) it is used for many things now and still houses all the crafty bits…but my “creative” space is now my home office where I create my subway signs.
Craft Room
Home Office
9. Where do you get your supplies; online, local shops, vintage stores, from friends, recycled materials or others? How easy/hard is it to get supplies & why? Are craft shops missing something?
My subway signs are printed on Canvas or Premium Papers.  I researched the heck out this before I started selling.  I wanted a great price but more importantly it had to be a quality product.

10. How do you find selling offline? How is it in comparison with selling online?
I love selling online and it is the majority of my sales.  I love that I sell worldwide and am always excited when I get to ship my subway signs to far off places.  I have sold to Canada, the UK, the US, Norway, France, Germany, Japan and Greece but my furthest was Abu Dhabi.
Ready for Post Office

11. Do you have any tips for people who want to start making their hobby into their business?
Do what you love.  Price it right.  Treat every customer like a million bucks, and GO FOR IT!

________________________________________________________

AWESOME right? make sure you follow Marina for updates and new awesome signs! 

w o r d o l o g y
Marina Vazzana




No comments:

Post a Comment