Saturday 19 October 2013

Feature Friday: Soulburbia

Hello Everyone!
wohoo FIRST FRIDAY of 2013! hope everyone had a smashing new year's celebration! :) I had a great party of one at home with my uni books lol, but even tho I was trying to work, my heart was dancing happily that it is a new year! I hope it will be filled with laughter and creativity for u all! :) 



Today's feature is with Rukiya the owner and the artist of Soulburbia Art International.

She is a jewellery maker with bright, colourful pieces from necklaces to bangles to earrings. What garbed me the most when I saw her work on instagram was the boldness of the designs, and the creativity behind them. They will be great to make a statement that you are fabulous! :)
Now over to the artist herself! :)



1. Tell us a little bit about your shop; how did you start? How did you learn your craft? Why did you start? What do you sell?

My shop focuses on the retail of handmade jewellery that include fair beads, clothing and accessories from around the world! I taught myself how to make jewellery  I first started with bangles, then moved on to earrings, necklaces and bracelets.


2. What inspires you? Is there a special place that you like to go to get inspired? What is it? Any favourite galleries or exhibits that inspire you?
Travel is what inspires me the most. I have travelled to several countries around the globe and each destination is different and beautiful. 
find item here
3. Who is the biggest supporter of your craft/Art & business?
My husband and close friends, they all have supported me from the very beginning.

4. Are you part of a crafting group?  
Yes. The New Handmade Collective!It is a group of artisans that have come together to support our efforts to promote and sell our creations.

5. What do you enjoy making the most?  
Everything, each item is different so it is always a joy to create something unique whether it be earrings, bangles, necklaces, or bracelets.
find item here
6. Do you craft in public? Where do you do it?
Not yet, as we recently relocated to Pittsburgh, PA. I'm looking to do so in 2013 though.

7. What do you like to do for fun?
Jewellery making is fun for me. I also enjoy spending time with my children.

8. Do you have a crafty room? 
Not yet, I'm looking to make our extra room into a work space for myself. 

9. Where do you get your supplies; online, local shops, vintage stores, from friends, recycled materials or others? How easy/hard is it to get supplies & why? Are craft shops missing something?
A variety of places, online, local shops, recycled materials, etc.
find item here
10. Do you participate in craft fairs or do wholesales? Is there enough support for these types of things? 
I have in the past and will be participating in a few fairs in 2013. Yes, I feel as though there is enough support for craft fairs and festivals, they are also a joy to take part in.

11. How do you find selling offline? How is it in comparison with selling online? 
It is easier for me to sell offline than online. To me, it seems that people would rather see and feel what they are going to buy in person. In my experience, offline sales tend to lead to more online sales. 

12. Do you have any tips for people who want to start making their hobby into their business? 
Do it! Stop thinking about it and just do it. Communities like Etsy make it easy to start and find support.

find this gorgeous handmade poncho here
Make sure you checkout Soulburbia's Links for updates and more awesome items! 


No comments:

Post a Comment