Saturday 19 October 2013

Friday Feature: Diary Sketches

Hello Everyone!
hope you are all enjoying the holidays! :) It feels great to have a break,, the only downside is it's going by way too fast :O This whole year went by like a lightning! and here we are on the last Friday of the 2012 :)


Today's feature is with Diary Sketches

A cool artist who makes unique illustrations, and drawings that are full of personality! :) She has the ability to transform a picture to a very adorable sketch, just like that!

more at Diary Sketches Blog

From the above picture to this awesomeness
find illustration here
Now over to the artist herself! :)

1. Tell us a little bit about your shop; how did you start? How did you learn your craft? Why did you start? What do you sell?
Hi my name is Laura Kay I am the artist and seller behind my shop Diary Sketches on Etsy. I have been drawing since I was born..well kinda :) Most of family is artistic so it's in the blood, not really a learnt craft aside from some classes, college courses I took. I have been a huge Etsy fan since I discovered it in high school, spending way too many hours surfing the art categories. When I graduated school I decided, if I draw anyway why not sell it and make a buck or two. In my shop I sell prints, original illustration, wearable art and custom illustration.

2. What inspires you? Is there a special place that you like to go to get inspired? What is it? Any favorite galleries or exhibits that inspire you?
I am inspired by fashion, I always check out quirky Pinterest boards, fashion blogs, magazines. I go to the city center to get inspired by the mix of people, cultures and styles. I recently went to the Isreal Museum which I loved, it has great art and instillations. Aside from that I often check out local galleries when I pass them on the street.
find illustration here
3. Who is the biggest supporter of your craft/Art & business?
financially? people that request custom illustrations. Emotionally?
My husband! 
4. Are you part of a crafting group? 
Not a physical group. But, I am part of a great Etsy team called ETSY SUCCESS TEAM 
They are the most supportive group of smart, talented and kind people that give of their time to answer others sellers issues and they really help bring success! 
find illustration here
5. What do you enjoy making the most? 
I like jumping from different styles to different medium, but I think I could say I like quirky watercolors drawings best.
6. Do you craft in public? Where do you do it?
I wish I could but I don't. I draw and  paint at home, and yes my table and living room become the biggest mess! I really need a studio :)
7. What do you like to do for fun?
ummm my drawing is what I do for fun. I love it!! 
find item here
8. Do you have a crafty room? 
when I was single the answer would be yes and yes again!! now that I live with my husband my apartment is pretty minimal (he's not an artsy guy)
a. If Yes (picture please)
These pictures are from my single days…as you can see I love reading kid books and at that stage I was into scrap-booking and knitting..as I said my hobbies vary often.
more pix on Diary Sketches blog
more pix on Diary Sketches blog

B.how would you like your future crafty room to be?
like this one I illustrated :) 
LOVE! u can even buy this one here
9. Where do you get your supplies; online, local shops, vintage stores, from friends, recycled materials or others? How easy/hard is it to get supplies & why? Are craft shops missing something?
It took a while to find stores that sold the art stuff I am used to from the US. But I am really happy now that I found my resources.

10. How do you find selling offline? How is it in comparison with selling online? 
 I don't sell offline yet

11. Do you have any tips for people who want to start making their hobby into their business? 
Do tuns of reading and research the best ways to promote, sell, have awesome SEOI learn new things everyday and I'm constantly tweaking my shop and the way I'm doing things. Believe in yourself and you will succeed!! 
find adorable item here

Make sure you checkout Diary Sketches Links for updates and more awesome items! 

No comments:

Post a Comment