Saturday 19 October 2013

Feature Friday: HouseOfSharkey

Happy Friday all! :) Finally it's an exams free weekend. For this feature I have a British crafter for you. It's Lucy the owner of HouseOfSharkey. She doesn't only make lovely dresses and funky jewellery, she also crochet and cross stitch. She started her Etsy shop under a year ago, so let's give her some love and support! :)

  


1. Tell us a little bit about your shop; how did you start? How did you learn your craft? Why did you start? What do you sell?

I've always been keen on crafty stuff like cross stitching. Then I studied fashion design at College and University. I got into making jewellery after i graduated and was looking for some work placement opportunities. One of these was Tatty Devine and i loved it so much that i thought " why not give it a try?" I recently discovered that i have a knack for Crochet which has really helped me to expand my product range.

2. What inspires you? Is there a special place that you like to go to get inspired? What is it? Any favorite galleries or exhibits that inspire you?

I find that ideas just come to me usually, like the Fruit Salad bracelet or Petra the Valentine Zombie. I love strolling around the galleries in Liverpool and have recently started work on some cross stitches, inspired by song lyrics

find the Fruit Salad bracelet here

3. Who is the biggest supporter of your craft/Art & business?

I would have to say that my biggest supporters have been Sophie Bold and Laura Pye of Strange Case Collective and Danny Byrne of Papertwin Ltd. I met them when they organised a networking/ get together group in a cafe in Liverpool and as well as being great friends, they have given me so much advice and work experience opportunities.  

4. Are you part of a crafting group? 

Sadly i'm not as i don't drive and where i live, means that its a little awkward for me to get to places. Maybe i should look at setting one up ;^) 

find this yummy fortune cookie here
5. What do you enjoy making the most? 

I would say i enjoy crochet the most as i find it the most easy and therefore quickest to do. I feel like i can be more creative and free with my crochet. 

6. What do you like to do for fun?

As sad as it sounds, my work is my hobby lol but if i am not curled up on the sofa with a ball of wool and a hook then I'm reading or I'm taking a walk with my ipod.

find this lovely dress here
7. Do you have a crafts room/workshop? 

My "workshop" was just my bedroom with a rickty old desk, which is getting chucked out when we move house. Someday though, i will have a spacious room with loads of storage and decorated with Duppeny Wallpapers, gorgeous Burlesque wallpaper. 

8. Do you have any tips for people who want to start making their hobby into their business?

I have only be doing this for just under a year so i certainly am not in a position to give out advice lol but i just try to remember to be patient, it can get very very disheartening when you seem to be doing everything that you're advised to do to publicise your shop but seem to get nowhere. Craft fairs are where you really sell things and get good feedback. 
Find flower necklace here
Last words?
I seem to have gone a bit shy now so i'll just say thank you for reading and i hope you enjoy my shop and blog. X

Make sure you checkout HouseOfSharkey's links for the latest updates, and news

Etsy Shop

No comments:

Post a Comment