Thursday 14 February 2013

Portfolio: Making a start

A portfolio is the key for a designer to go places, to get hired, to get into grad school, and to prove her/his skills to the world. A portfolio is like a real life proof of skills, abilities and creativity.

To start a portfolio, you need to come up with your creativity identity, your branding; your logo and style. This all can change as you grow your creative personality, but you need to start somewhere.

Last year in my PDF2, I designed a logo, a brand, a flash card, and 2 portfolio; 1 about my skills generally, and the other about 1 project they all were based on the Saudi Traditional House. I thought it represented my heritage well. This year, when I looked at my work, I felt it needed a more polished presentation. In one year my perspective changed. The beginning of the year, I created another logo, and a more colourful representation of myself, such as the infographics I did. Now, with the start of 2013, I reflected again, and decided I still didn't prove my full potential in my logo or my layout. So, here I am again, working on another layout for my 2013 portfolio.

First step is to figure out a new logo.
Second step is to decide on a background and identity colours.
Third step is finding a layout, with a specific grid for arranging the information and pictures.
Fourth step is following the 10 steps process for content.
Fifth step is putting everything together in Illustrator on A3 page size.

No comments:

Post a Comment